Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Verbs: Saber/Conocer and Pedir/Preguntar





SABER/CONOCER and PEDIR/PREGUNTAR

Saber
Conocer
Pedir
Preguntar
To Know
To Ask
-          Fact
-          Familiarity
-          Request
-          Factual question
express knowledge of facts.  (To know something.) express familiarity or acquaintance.  (To know someone or to be familiar with a place.) make a request.  (To ask for something.) Ask a factual question (ask a question)

Examples

Tú sabes español
You know Spanish
Saber – Factual knowledge
Tú conoces a Hillary.
You know Hilary
Conocer – You are acquainted with her
Ella pide ayuda
She asks for help
Pider – Request
Ella pregunta qué hora es.
She asks what time it is
Preguntar – Factual question

Note:  Pedir can be translated as “to ask for.”  However, it is a transitive verb and does not require the use of the preposition por.  That is why the sentence above is "Ella pide ayuda," NOT "Ella pide por ayuda."

Verb Conjugations

saber
(irregular in the yo* form)
I yo sé  * we nosotros sabemos
you sabes 
vosotros
sabéis
he/she él/ella/ud sabe they ellos/uds saben


conocer
(irregular in the yo* form)
I yo conozco we nosotros conocemos
you conoces
vosotros
conocéis
he/she él/ella/ud conoce they ellos/uds conocen


pider
(stem changing verb (e-i))
I yo pido we nosotros pedimos
you pides
vosotros
pedís
he/she él/ella/ud pide they ellos/uds piden


preguntar 
(regular AR verb)
I yo pregunto  we nosotros preguntamos
you preguntas 
vosotros
preguntáis
he/she él/ella/ud pregunta  they ellos/uds preguntan